Community

Ridealong: Bicycle Coalition’s John Boyle

The Bicycle Coalition’s John Boyle rides over the Ben Franklin Bridge with the author. © Thom Carroll Photography 2013 In my three-and-a-half years working at the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia, Research Director John Boyle and I rode over the Ben Franklin Bridge many times together. Much of what I know about Philly bicycling statistics, trends, and history I learned on that span....

Ridealong: Philadelphia Bike Planner Aaron Ritz

I took a ride, then had a chat over a cup of coffee with Aaron Ritz, the Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs Planner for the Mayor’s Office of Transportation and Utilities. Aaron suggested we ride into Fairmount Park, then up to the Smith Memorial Arch and Memorial Hall, site of his victories in the 2010 and 2011 Brompton (folding bicycle) US Championships. Bike guy finds his niche I’m a b...

Philadelphia Bike Share: 5 Things to Understand

If you’re a bicyclist currently residing on Planet Earth, chances are you’ve had a conversation about bike share recently. I know I’ve had my fair share. They usually start with Oh, you ride a bike? and immediately move to, I was just in Manhattan, and those blue bikes are everywhere so how does it work, anyway? The Bicycle Coalition’s Diana Owens Steif and the author enjoy...

Winter Riding: Get Your Gear Ready

The same tragic scene is playing out across the North as seasonal riders, with a tear in their eye, stable their steeds for a long winter’s sleep. C’est la vie, time for the trainer, you may be thinking. Please, don’t let this misfortune befall you. The winter season can give the dedicated rider some of the most fun and memorable rides of the entire year. It can be a time of sola...