Community

Interview: Shelly Salamon

Shelly Salamon in her Shop. © Thom Carroll Photography 2013 Shelly Salamon opened her shop Fairmount Bicycles in 2010. We talked with her about her latest venture, Philly Bike Tour Co., which — as its name implies — offers group bike tours of Philadelphia. What made you decide to offer bike tours of the city? I ended up on a guided bike tour in Chicago about five years ago and absolutely loved it....

Philly Pumptrack Breaks Ground

Builder Jim Dellavalle discusses the Philly Pumptrack plans with Andreina Perez, a volunteer helping with construction management. Work has started on the Philly Pumptrack at 52nd Street and Parkside Avenue behind the Mann Center. Pumptracks are bike courses where the rider uses gravity, momentum, and a pumping motion to propel themselves without pedaling. This project, the first of its kind in Ph...

Like Riding a Bike or Is It?

Harlan Teaching Riding a bike seems simple for those who can, while those who can’t shy away from publicly admitting they don’t know how. Riders and non-riders forget that there was a beginning to the learning process and that what they know now was acquired from a series of trials and errors without much guidance beyond those early pushes from a comforting hand. Often the process of f...

Keep Your Jacket Waterproof and Clean

A great rain jacket is an essential part of any commuting cyclist’s arsenal, and I have learned from experience that skimping on this is a surefire way to find oneself soggy and miserable. About two years ago, I invested in the Endura MT500 jacket — emphasis on invested. Reliable weather protection isn’t cheap, and cheap weather protection isn’t reliable. The difference between t...