Cycling through the city with kids can be a challenge. With practice and a little know-how, it is truly fun and easy. The following 5 tips will point your front wheel toward successful bike trips with the kids. Challenge accepted!
1. Not sure about riding with your kids in the city? First, come out to an “ABCs of Family Biking.” The next one will be at the Philly Bike Expo on November 9th. ABCs is a mix of a parent-led panel and bike shops that are passionate about helping fellow parents ride with their kids. Panelists have experience riding while pregnant, with babies, and on through kids who ride independently. Parents’ setups are as basic as kid seats and trailers and large as longtails and bakfiets.
2. Read lots of blogs! Blogs can connect you to even more bike options and kid setups. Looking to bike with lots of kids? Check out a Simple Six Blog. Looking to go car-free? Check out Hum of the City or Days With the Grays. Want to read about biking while pregnant check out Simply Bike! There is a blog for every type of family biking you plan on doing. These resources are invaluable and plentiful.
3. Go talk to your local bike shop! These people are professionals who want to help you ride with your kids. If for whatever reason the shop isn’t supportive, just leave, as they don’t need your business. These shops are already supportive of family biking, having participated in the Summer’s ABCs: Firth & Wilson at 9th and Spring Garden, Fairmount Bicycles at 20th and Fairmount and Trophy Bikes at 2nd and Fairmount.
4. Already have the equipment to ride but want some confidence or looking to meet-up with other pedaling families? Join a Kidical Mass group ride. Kidical Mass rides are fun, slow rides around the city. The group promotes safe streets for all. These rides help kids and adults learn safety skills to ride in the city and provide a ride to practice them. The next Philly ride is November 9th.
5. Go have fun! Yes, bikes are a great form of transportation. Bottom line, they are fun to ride. Sharing that experience with your children will give you all a lifetime of memories!